Thursday 6 December 2012

Where it all began...

This poster was 'collected' on one of my first trips to Zimbabwe.  I had to have a copy of it. It was so iconic. We saw it everywhere.

Yet at the same time, Zimbabwe didn't fall into the 'standard' account of being run by some crazed dictator.  Like the picture itself, Zimbabwe and Zimbabwean politics continue to prove enigmatic to me.

And my fascination with the images which are used to represent the nation, by politicians and 'civil society', has also continued.  

Buoyed by a session on academic blogging, I've decided that my much mooted project on post-colonial political ephemera will take shape as a blog.  I'll be posting up some of my favourite images, discussing what they tell us, and hopefully inspiring some of you to send me your own images.  Please let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment